[time-nuts] Pulsars make a GPS for the cosmos

Alan Melia alan.melia at btinternet.com
Sat Sep 28 19:42:28 EDT 2013

There is actually little at 1421MHz from the sun the radiation from the sun
is black body radiation  1421 is an electron flip more likely in isolated
molecules (the sun is plasma not gas) or Hydrogen masers. We set up 12Ghz
sat LNBs a couple of weekends ago to try and stimulate some school interest
....big peak on sat finder. There are storms which generate signals in the
VHF/ UHF range that can be heard on simple equipment ....receivers built
with CBTV front-ends.(tuners)

Pulsars are very weak the flux is measured in Janskys and I get confused
converting that back to radio values. but a 10m dish at about 600Mhz and you
should get something on a UHF receiver though you often need something like
the averaging of a box-car detector. You do need to know which direction to
look in.

Alan (G3NYK)
Brit Astro Assocn Radio Astro Group