[time-nuts] First success with very simple, very low cost GPSDO, under $8

Tom Harris celephicus at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 16:04:42 EDT 2014

Another point with the software is that your handler for the PPS just reads
the counter. This gives an offset between the PPS edge and the value read,
as your software takes time to respond to the interrupt and read the
counter. In your code, it doesn't matter as you only have one interrupt.
However, if you have another interrupt enabled, this could run after the
PPS pulse but before the handler runs, giving you a very rare jitter.
A better way would be to use the input capture feature to read the timer
into a capture register. Then the interrupt handler has until the next edge
to read the capture register.
Just an idea, you might be able to assign the interrupt priority for the
PPS edge to a priority above all others to avoid this problem, but this is
getting complex. Simpler to handle it by hardware. To debug jitter, you
could make your mainline set an output line, and watch the delay between
the PPS and the line on a CRO set on infinite persistance, just to check if
it works.

Tom Harris <celephicus at gmail.com>