[time-nuts] First success with very simple, very low cost GPSDO

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Thu Apr 10 15:35:42 EDT 2014

Use 16-bits if you have it, especially during cold/warm start. But if you only have 8-bits then I can think of two solutions. One is to extend the h/w 8-bit timer with one or two bytes of s/w overflow count. The other is to reduce the sample rate by 2^N (you can do this on a PIC with a prescaler; not sure about AVR) so the numbers are smaller by a factor of 2^N and still fit in 16- or 8-bits. It's one of the rare cases where a trade-off between range and resolution is in your favor.

If your CPU doesn't have a prescaler, or maybe even if it does, just use 16-bits. Or implement the overflow code -- but realize that it's really tricky to make it work at the boundary conditions.

/tvb

----- Original Message -----
From: "KD0GLS" <kd0gls at mninter.net>
To: "Tom Van Baak" <tvb at leapsecond.com>; "Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement" <time-nuts at febo.com>
Sent: Thursday, April 10, 2014 11:48 AM
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] First success with very simple, very low cost GPSDO

I should have said warm start, not cold. I was referring to the code, not the oscillator. So tell me, the OCXO is warm, there's no previous EFC information to draw upon, and the oscillator is off-frequency by more than can be measured with, let's say eight timer bits. What do those early measurements tell me, and which direction from midway should the EFC be adjusted?