[time-nuts] First success with very simple, very low cost GPSDO, under $8

d0ct0r time at patoka.org
Thu Apr 10 16:52:47 EDT 2014

> Correct, your code example is the traditional way to keep track of
> elapsed time without long-term rounding error, although it's usually
> not attributed to Bézier.

My bad ! I messed up Bezier and Bresenham line algorithm, which I was
using for generating one average timed period from any other timed
period (like the PIC timer0 overflow period, for example).

> Not sure if you've been following the whole thread, though -- the
> problem with timer interrupt code is that it can, and will on rare
> occasion, conflict with 1PPS rising edge pin interrupts. On a
> microcontroller, for best precision, the solution is to get rid of the
> timer interrupts, or get rid of the 1PPS interrupts, or both.
> Secondly, you cannot share multi-byte variables between interrupt
> level and main level without synchronization or arbitration.

I am not familiar with Arduino. STM32, for sure, has interrupt priority.
But than it will not be 8$ project. ;-)  The best results I achieve
using DMA. Timer updating the buffer variable(s) in background and its
not using interrupts for it. So, I could read the current value of
counter any time. At least I got good results for this approach when I
connect MCU clock to GPSDO and tried to measure the signal from external
OCXO. I got perfect 10 Mhz at that time.

> Your code snippet is a good example of what is subtle and dangerous,
> and dare I say, wrong. You are updating long t_besier in an interrupt
> handler. Any main level code using t_besier faces byte carry
> corruption in the multi-byte value of t_besier. True, this works fine
> on a 32- or 64-bit cpu, but not on an 8- or 16-bit cpu.

Hmm...

WBW,

V.P.