[time-nuts] ARM boards for low-cost GPSDOs

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 19:40:53 EDT 2014

First, the Arduino can count cycles just fine.  Look at the C code I
posted, it is all of about two dozen lines. It is intentionally simplistic
but seem seems to work. This discussion is about how I might be able to
remove about a half dozen lines.   I'd bet you a bunch the ARM would NOT be
simpler.  I would not go with the ARM process just to save having to count
cary-overs.

There is a great advantage to building a GPSDO in an ARM and a REALLY great
advantage to building on with a Beagle Board. Because you could also build
an NTP server on the same platform and time transfer to the NTP server
would be near perfect.  The BB could run a web server too and WiFi stack so
you could control the entire GPSDO/NTP Server with a wireless cell phone or
tablet.  You can remotely log in to your controller using SSH.   It's gross
overkill but the price is only about $50.    The Raspberry Pi is not a
whole loot different.

If you want a simple, low cost ARM development system there are three that
I'd look at.

1) The "teensy".   cost is $19 and it is the same size as the Arduino "mini"
http://www.pjrc.com/store/teensy3.html
Adafruit and Sparkfun also sell this same board.

2) The new Arduino Due is based on ARM and runs the same software
environment as the AVR based Arduino.
but of course is much more powerful and costs more.  Lots of support and
all your Arduino code will mostly still work.
http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardDue

3) TI sells a "Launch Pad" at a very good price, about $13 and it is VERY
well supported with training materials, software and so on.  I'm sure TI
iix taking a loss on these.   They can't be making money at $13  This is a
great value.
http://www.ti.com/ww/en/launchpad/launchpads-tivac.html#tabs

On Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 2:38 PM, Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:

> Does anybody have a favorite low-cost ARM board?  I'm looking for a simple
> Arduino like setup rather than something that runs Linux.  The idea is to
> get
> 32 bit counters so a bunch of the recent discussion can be ingnored.
>
> --
> These are my opinions.  I hate spam.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California