[time-nuts] Jitter Definition

HagaaarTheHorrible hagaaar587plus7 at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 16 22:54:13 EDT 2014

Hello there,

I tried searching the archives (and google, IEEE, NIST, ITU), but didn't really find a satisfying answer, so I thought I'd ask directly.

In short:
Is there any kind of standard definition for Jitter which is commonly accepted?

I (think I) understood Jitter and phase noise by now, yet I need to give some references in my bachelor's thesis, so I'm looking for a definition. So far I haven't found a real definition of the different "types" (RMS,p2p,c2c,...) and components(RJ,DJ) of Jitter, but I guess there must be some kind of accepted standard!?
If anyone could point me to some "official sources" which are "accepted in the industry", I'd be very grateful.

Thanks in advance and best regards

Hag