[time-nuts] PI Math question

WarrenS warrensjmail-one at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 17 17:45:49 EDT 2014

Agree, not so clear. I did not expect this to be so hard to explain.  See if
this helps any.
The code snippets are from a S/W simulator program that loops thru one of
these code versions, producing a new Output each time a new Input value is
made available.
In most programs an index i is not used or needed because most past data
need not be saved, the S/W just loops thru the code to produce a new output
value on each pass, saving only what is necessary, in this case as "Last_x".
Inalize everything to zero in each code.

> D = (Input - Last_Input))
> Last_Input = Input
> I#1 = I#1 + (K1 * Input)
> I#2 = I#2 + (K2 * D)
> Output = I#1 + I#2 + (K3 * Input)
get next Input value and Loop

> c)
> D = Input - Last_Input
> Last_Input = Input
> I#1 = I#1 +  (K1 * Input) + (K2 * D)
> Output = (K3 * Input) + I#1
 get next Input value and Loop

> b)
> D = (Input - Last_Input)
> Last_Input = Input
> Output  = Output + (K1 * Input) + (K2 + K3) * D
get next Input value and Loop

> a)
> I#1 = I#1 + (K1 * Input)
> Output = I#1 + ((K2 + K3) * Input)
get next Input value and Loop

I thought the above format would be clearer than the index format below,
which can save everything.
This is another way to look at the same code;
The input can be considered as a saved data stream of length n, in the form
of Input(i) where i is a value from 1 to n.
Initialize all starting values registers(0) to zero

D(i) = Input(i) - Input(i-1)
I#1(i)  = I#1(i-1) + K1*Input(i)
I#2(i)  = I#2(i-1)  + K2*D(i)
Output(i) = I#1(i) + I#2(i) + K3*Input(i)
Increment i from 1 until i = n

a)
D(i) = Input(i) - Input(i-1)
I#1(i)  = I#1(i-1) + K1*Input(i) + K2*D(i)
Output(i) = K3*Input(i) + I#1(i)
Increment i from 1 until i = n

b)
D(i) = Input(i) - Input(i-1)
Output(i)  = Output(i-1) + K1*Input(i) + (K2+K3)*D(i)
Increment i from 1 until i = n

c)
I#1(i)  = I#1(i-1) + K1*Input(i)
Output(i)  = Output(i-1) + (K2+k3)*Input(i)
Increment i from 1 until i = n

The question is, Can some math person/programer show that the outputs(1 thru
n) are the same in each code version above when given the same Input(1 thru
n) data stream, using simple math?
I'm not asking what the code will do, Just if the codes above will produce
the same outputs, when given the same set of inputs?

ws

********************************

Warren,

I understand your message as an afterwards try to put some sense in your
original question, but if you write

> D = (Input - Last_Input)

then this clearly denotes the differential part of a PID controller
(with the multiplication with the coefficient for the differential part
coming later)

If you add now

> In a complete controller the input to this
> gain block would typically come from a
> pre-filter, and the prefilter's input
> from the error difference between
> the setpoint and the feedback, etc.

saying that "input is something complete different then I fear that this
discusion is drifting into complete nonsense because if "Input" denotes an
entity which contains an error signal in any form then

> D = (Input - Last_Input)

is something that is ill defined and has nothing to do with the differential
part of a PID controller.

> I wanted to keep the math as simple as possible...

Good idea but if simplification creates something wrong then the
simplification has gone one step to far.

Best regards

Ulrich