[time-nuts] Measuring the accurcy of a wrist watch

Brooke Clarke brooke at pacific.net
Thu Apr 17 19:33:37 EDT 2014

Hi:

Somewhere here I have a page from a magazine showing a resonant tank circuit at 32768 Hz where the coil is maybe a few
inches in diameter.
You set any watch running at that frequency and it can count the oscillations.
Rather than adjusting the rate to be spot on, the suggestion is to know the rate of the watch in normal use over a week
and then make a proportional adjustment in the rate.

I can see the crystals used in various electronics boxes by attaching their BNC connector to the HP 4395A used as a
spectrum analyzer.
For example in the drop zone assembly aid system receiver you can see the local oscillator frequency by connecting the
receive antenna terminal to the SA.
http://www.prc68.com/I/DZAAS_Rx.shtml
http://www.prc68.com/I/4395A.shtml

This works because the 4395A uses a DSP based IF system including true Resolution Band Width filters down to 1 Hz which
makes for a very low noise floor.

Have Fun,

Brooke Clarke
http://www.PRC68.com