[time-nuts] WWVB BPSK patent status

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Fri Aug 8 19:44:04 EDT 2014

Without having seen the specific patent, what
worries me is that there is a trend these days
to write blanket patents that say you can't
build any black box that, for example, receives
this format, no matter how it works.
They don't have to prove what is
in your FPGA code.  They then can shut down any
competition with such a weak patent unless the
competition has deep pockets for a lawyer.  If
they can prove you willfully infringed (whatever
that means), they get triple damages.  If you
do any kind of patent search, do not keep any
records or tell anyone about it.

Possibly you could make the FPGA code available
on the internet and have the end user be the
infringer.  Not being a lawyer, I'm not sure
if this would get you off the hook.  Maybe
they can hang their hat on the digital copyright
law (DCMA?) , in which case you become a criminal too.

Rick Karlquist N6RK