[time-nuts] WWVB for Time Nuts

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun Aug 10 11:30:38 EDT 2014

Hi

…. which also eliminates a full examination and challenge.

————————

Bottom line as I still see it -

For Time Nuts one off / home use / zero profit/ personal experimentation, I would not worry about the patents that are or are not present on the receiver for the WWVB format.

I would not go out and start selling a product without some sort of protection. In that case if they want 10% of my (likely zero) profits, that’s not going to stop me. The same would be true if they are after 1% of my gross (one percent of $10 programmed uP’s times 100 pieces isn’t much). The killer would be some sort of flat license fee dimensioned in kilobucks. Until they come up with details there’s no real way to know how much of an issue this would be, even for a hobby project.

They have 5 years of protection on this, and the clock has been running for at least a year, maybe more. At the rate this is going, there might not even be a chip before the 5 years runs out.

Bob