[time-nuts] Ublox neo-7M GPS

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Tue Aug 19 17:23:29 EDT 2014

Hi Tom,

last time I looked at these I tried figuring out what they were doing. It
is very hard to get measurement data, our TSC did not converge on their
signal,  and looking at the output on a scope revealed only a bunch of crazy
random phase  jumps. I guess one could use a counter to measure how many time
pulses are being  sent in x seconds with x being a large number, or divide
the output by 10  million and see how the pulse moves back and forth compared
to the 1PPS UTC  output..

Since I don't know the exact algorithm being used, I said
"adds/drops/extends/retards" in my previous email. I did not mean to imply that  the unit is
doing all or any of those items. But that is exactly part of the  problem
isn't it, there is no clear description of what exactly is happening in  the
uBlox documents or the CW docs for that matter that I could find.

I for one would not use that output to drive a processor or other digital
device directly, who knows what happens if the processor sees a 100ns, then
a  110ns, and then an 70ns pulse if it is only rated at 10MHz and 100ns
pulse-width  +/- a couple percent for example.. Without knowing the exact
minimum phase  time period specification that could come out of one of these
NCO's, one should  not properly use that signal in a digital design.

My initial concern was that this is time-nuts, and we should call a GPSDO a
 GPSDO, and an NCO an NCO in my opinion. Nothing wrong with one or the
other, but they sure are not the same thing - by 6 or more orders of  magnitude
in phase stability. We usually are concerned here about parts per  trillion
stability and accuracy, and now we are mixing things up that are  millions
of times worse than one another..

bye,
Said

In a message dated 8/19/2014 13:08:52 Pacific Daylight Time,