[time-nuts] MH370 Doppler

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 18:47:31 EDT 2014

You CAN determine the ground track if you assume the altitude above
sea level is constant and the aircraft's speed is also constant.  But
you are correct that Doppler alone would not be enough.

The question I have to people here is:  How does error in the dopler
translate to error in the ground track.  In other words what is the
function that maps oscillator stability to distance on the ground.

On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 3:25 PM, Bill Hawkins <bill at iaxs.net> wrote:
> As I understand it, Doppler will give you the magnitude of the velocity
> vector for an aircraft with respect to the satellite, but it won't give
> you the actual direction of the aircraft.
>
> Why does the stability of the oscillators matter if you can't determine
> the direction? Is there another satellite involved? Can you learn
> something if you assume a velocity for the aircraft? In which case the
> error in the assumed velocity would swamp the oscillator error, no?
>
> Bill Hawkins

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California