Ed Palmer ed_palmer at sasktel.net
Sat Aug 23 18:31:22 EDT 2014

Hi Dave,

On 8/23/2014 3:51 PM, Dave M wrote:
> Thanks for that suggestion, Ed.  After a bit of reading in the X72
> Reference Guide, it appears that the X72 does have a 1PPS input.  That
> would be considerably easier than trying to interface the Rb into the
> GPSDO.  Still trying to understand what the manual is telling me. Next
> thing is to determine if my unit has that option enabled (firmware
> option).  That will be a chore for after the holiday... really busy
> next week.
>
> What would that (1PPS disciplining) do for me... in terms of
> maintaining the Rb frequency accurately set?  Would it be as accurate
> as having the Rb disciplined via the EFC input?

It's kind of overkill, but by connecting the 1 PPS from the NTBW50AA to
the X72, the X72 will be disciplined to the 1 PPS so the frequency will
be accurate.  The question is how well will it be disciplined, i.e. what
will the Allen Deviation graph look like.  I have a few X72 and SA-22c
(X72's cousin), but none of them have that option.  I don't know of any
published data on it.  Maybe you can tell us how well it performs.

In general, I just don't see the point of disciplining a Rb standard to
GPS.  I don't understand what will be gained by doing it.  I have a
Z3801A and a Tbolt plus a free-running FRK as a house standard.  I
occasionally compare the FRK to the Z3801A but the drift is so low
(~1e-12 per month over 9 months) that I see no reason to link them.

One exception that I recently discussed on another forum was a guy who
lives in a ground floor, north-facing condo.  He might need to have a
disciplined Rb standard due to poor GPS visibility.

Ed