[time-nuts] GPS antenna in snowy environment (was: LEA-6T, Software.)

"Björn Gabrielsson" bg at lysator.liu.se
Fri Aug 29 09:05:12 EDT 2014

Dan,

The classic Aeroantenna SPIKE snow cone.

http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/ANTCAL/LoadImage?name=AERAT1675_120%2BSPKE.t.jpg

The old Ashtech snow cone

http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/ANTCAL/LoadImage?name=ASH700936A_M%2BNONE.t.jpg

Both of the above will keep birds looking for another place to rest.

http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/ANTCAL/LoadImage?name=ASH701945C_M%2BSCIS.s.jpg
http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/ANTCAL/LoadImage?name=TPSCR.G5%2BTPSH.gif
http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/ANTCAL/LoadImage?name=TPSPN.A5%2BSCIT.ave

These spherical cones will impact the signals less, but they do give birds
a rest/watch-place. See the middle url, which shows the drawing, and where
the antenna phase center is put in the center of the (half)-sphere.

The swedish COORS network - called SWEPOS - are using at least two
versions of snow cones made from clear acrylic.

   http://swepos.lmv.lm.se/stationer/0opp.htm
   http://swepos.lmv.lm.se/stationer/0bor.htm

But I doubt very much that a usual timing receiver will notice the
difference.

--

    Björn