[time-nuts] HP 5061Cs reference question

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Sat Dec 6 10:23:12 EST 2014

Hi

It’s a pretty small difference. The normal “tuning” (mag field) adjustments may be a bigger deal. A whole lot depends on the tube design. I *think* they are a measure of the transit time in the tube. It’s been about 30 years since I dug into that, so I could easily be a bit confused there ….

Bob

> On Dec 6, 2014, at 10:15 AM, paul swed <paulswedb at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Bob
> Thanks but can you actually see that on the frequency out at 5 Mhz.
> If on the wrong transition or peak shouldn't that translate into an offset
> also.
>
> On Sat, Dec 6, 2014 at 10:04 AM, Bob Camp <kb8tq at n1k.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Sure you can set them on the wrong peak. If you really get confused, you
>> can also set them on the wrong transition … (gulp).
>>
>> Peak wise, the one you want is the highest Q / best SNR. Set it to one of
>> the others and your ADEV degrades.
>>
>> Transition wise … not a good idea at all.
>>
>> Bob
>>
>>> On Dec 6, 2014, at 9:11 AM, paul swed <paulswedb at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I have a curious question that really applies to all Cs references.
>>> Its possible to set them on to the wrong peak.
>>> Typically in the literature it will speak to at least 3 peaks and you
>> want
>>> to select the highest central peak.
>>> However if you select the wrong peak, how much would the output frequency
>>> be off?
>>> I had read a tech note for the airforce that seems to indicate its pretty
>>> easy to get on to the wrong peak.
>>> Regards
>>> Paul
>>> WB8TSL