[time-nuts] 10MHz LTE-Lite - PPS accuracy?

Dave Martindale dave.martindale at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 08:53:09 EST 2014

In my case, the LTE-Lite had been operating for at least a week before I
made my "accumulate mode" measurement, and the Thunderbolt had been
operating for at least a month.  But both antennas were in poor locations -
not bad enough to lose lock any time I was watching, but nowhere close to a
clear view of most of the sky.  I never saw the 1 PPS disappear while I was
watching it.

I wonder if your LTE-Lite ever finished its survey and switched into
1D/position hold mode?  A GPS operating in 3D mode can indeed fail to get a
position fix with 5 satellites being received, if they have bad geometry
(e.g. all are in the same plane in space) because the solution will have
horrible DOP values.  But a timing-mode GPS in position hold mode knows its
own (antenna) position, and only needs one visible satellite to continue to
provide timing outputs.

We don't know how the LTE-Lite's disciplining algorithm is tuned.  If
frequency stability was considered to be more important that timing, the
algorithm may limit the maximum frequency offset that can be used to
correct a timing error.  Watching the scope output in real time, I can see
the time offset between the two 1 PPS pulses change with time, but it
always changes rather slowly, so the maximum frequency difference I've seen
is quite small.  (I no longer have the equipment set up, so I can't provide
a quantitative number).

- Dave