[time-nuts] 1968 Scientific American Magazine: Cesium ClockStandards

Alan Melia alan.melia at btinternet.com
Wed Dec 10 09:31:24 EST 2014

Hi Dave, as a long time reader (since 1955) and subscriber I remember the
Amateur scientist pages ending in the 1980s. I think the contributer
retired. At around that time I think the many adherents formed the Society
of Amateur Scientists. Though I have not visited fot several years the web
site was www.sas.org  and I believe had pdfs of old SciAm Amateur Scientist
articles.

I particularly remember one scary article about an X-ray generator that
consisted of a 6J5G tube ( I think a triode valve in the UK  :-))  ) with a
piece of aluminium foil secured round the smaller diameter part of the top
with a twist of copper wire, and conected between the cathode pin and the
foil, a 2kV psu !! The end of the tube cathode (and heater wire) was clearly
visible through the top and formed a spot source of electrons. I believe an
X-ray plate of a hand was included in the article !!

There were many inovative ways of building quite sophisticated experiments.
Another I rememver was a Proton precession magnetometer using a radar
magnetron magnet.

Alan
G3NYK