[time-nuts] Beaglebone NTP server

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 09:45:10 EST 2014

Your logic would disqualify EVERY computer made today.  What will still be
in production in 10 years?

If you care a lot about reliantly you install three NTP servers on your
network.  Further you make sure each server is DIFFERENT and uses a
different brand of GPS.  You configure them all as peers.  You'd still have
a redundant system after a failure.  I don't see why you'd want to replace
the failed it with one that is identical because in several years there
will likely be something even better at lower cost.

The above comment about BBB having a good hardware Ethernetreally does make
the BBB seem suited to this task.   ButNTP is such a small load that you
can run other services too.   A file server (NAS) seems reasonable.

On Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 5:13 AM, Jim Lux <jimlux at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Ah, but will the exact same single board computer be available for
> replacement in 5 years?  Or will it be Rev F instead of Rev B, with "just a
> few tweaks to improve performance", but also enough that it's not "drop the
> image on it and run"
>
> What about 10 years?
> 15?
>
> Philosophically it might be a straightforward thing, but it might not be
> as easy as one might hope.
>
> Legacy support with processor boards is a real challenge.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California