[time-nuts] Homebrew frequency counter, need help

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Fri Dec 12 12:41:24 EST 2014

Hi

> On Dec 12, 2014, at 11:44 AM, Li Ang <lllaaa at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Yes, you are right. 5650_5650 is sig=ref case. prs10_5650 is sig=prs10 and
> ref=5650 case.
>
> Since I really want to reduce the noise, what is the best test set you
> suggest? All the frequency source I have: FE5650 Rb , PRS10 Rb , MV89a*2
> OCXO, Thunderbolt GPSDO, 8663-XS*2 OCXO, Wenzel 100M OCXO(not sure).
>
> How to analyze the ADEV plot to get information about noise?

Since you are running TimeLab, there are multiple plots you can do to look at what is going on. Each one will show you slightly different data. It’s probably best to look at all of them in order to work things out. So far, there is nothing obvious in your ADEV plots that points to a single issue.  That’s partially because of the short length of the runs. Most of the data seems to be going as 1/ sqrt( tau). That’s a lot like the sqrt (N) thing when averaging noise. It’s the expected result …

Bob