[time-nuts] Set time on Solaris computer from HP 58503A

Dr. David Kirkby (Kirkby Microwave Ltd) drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
Sun Dec 14 08:38:03 EST 2014

On 14 December 2014 at 12:39, Neil Schroeder <gigneil at gmail.com> wrote:
> Based on my recent testing - including Solaris - you will be better off
> with the Internet unless your USB adapter is far better behaved than the
> several I have here

The USB -> serial adapter I have is an Keyspan USA-19HS

http://www.tripplite.com/high-speed-usb-to-serial-adapter-keyspan~USA19HS/

I bought that one, as it was officially supported by Sun. I also have
another one somewhere - forget which model. Again that was officially
supported by Sun.

Both have worked for industrial control applications, whereas I gather
some cheap ones are only suitable for common consumer devices.

In any case, it will be more fun & educational to use the GPS
receiver. To be honest, I don't need great accuracy. I only bought the
unit as a frequency standard - the clock functionality is not
important to me, but if I can have a bit of fun playing around with
it, then I will.

Dave