[time-nuts] Which First GPSDO to buy?

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun Dec 14 18:46:01 EST 2014

Hi

> On Dec 14, 2014, at 4:20 PM, Dave Daniel <kc0wjn at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks. See below:
>
> On 12/14/2014 1:48 PM, Bob Camp wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Ok so down to two choices:
>>

>> LTE Lite:
>>
>> 1) Comes up nice and fast (it’s a TCXO)
>>
>> 2) Modern GPS receiver
>>
>> 3) Good documentation
>>
>> 4) Very low power
>>
>> 5) Nice small size
> Good so far.
>>
>> 6) Needs a box
> Boxes I have.

There’s also odd things like power connectors, again likely junk box items.

>> 7) You know where to find Jackson Labs if there is a problem
>>
>> 8) Getting a couple more in a couple years may be possible
> Also good.
>>
>> Lucent:
>>
>> 1) More accurate if you keep it on (it’s an OCXO)
>>
>> 2) Spare parts set (= the second box) when you buy the pair
>>
>> 3) Comes with a (clunky) enclosure
>>
>> 4) Outputs are already isolated / buffered
> All good.
>> 5) Needs an antenna ($30 or so for a good one, $3 for a simple one)
> OK, doesn't sound too expensive.

The same $30 antenna will last a bit longer and mount a bit easier when used with most GPSDO’s. The exception are ones that put out 3.3V rather than 5V. There are a range of antennas out there to pick from. There are also antennas in the >= $100 range that you might consider for some applications.

>> 6) Needs a power supply ($20 maybe less)
> I have a bunch of DC power supplies sitting in the storage closet. Or I can build one. It's pretty simple.

The unit needs 18 to 36(?) V. That’s a lot of room for choices. The target supply was likely a “24V” battery bank. Take all the normal 12V numbers (charge / discharge / dead battery/ smoke from the battery fast charge) and just double them.  I would not target < 22 V or > 30V out of the supply.  The internal brick is a regulated switcher, there is no need to hyper regulate the external supply.

>> 7) Hook it up and check it out fast, there’s a 30 day warranty (which the guy does honor)
>>
>> 8) Once this guy sells out, there may not be many more.
> Yes, I have been thinking about that. Maybe get one of these just to do it before they are gone.

That’s why I keep harping on them

>> Both:
>>
>> 1) You still need to mount the antenna somewhere
> The lab is one the second floor; It shouldn't be a problem to add it to the breakout box going outside the room to the exterior.

You are after a clear view of the southern sky and at least due east / due west. A full sky view (360 degrees) would be nice.

>> 2) You need to distribute the 10 MHz or 1 pps to your gear
> Yes, I haven't figured that out yet. But it will be fun.

You can do it for < $1 per channel.

>> 3) With only one you will always be wondering “what if it’s wrong?”. Having two only confuses this situation ….
> One really needs three at a minimum. But acquiring three starts with acquiring one.

Right, but consider that you are indeed buying the first of several. These things pop up and then go away. The Lucent is in that category. I have no idea of Jackson Lab’s plans for the LTE on eBay. That also *could* be a limited time deal.

>> 4) Neither one lets you play much with the loop (filtering), both are pretty much optimum for the hardware as received
> I think this where building one oneself comes in. Or buying the Thunderbolt.

The T Bolt’s are pretty expensive these days. They also have a limited ability to modify things (but better than the other boxes). A home-brew is the only way to have full control. There’s no need to run out and get a TBolt at the prices they sell for these days.

>> 5) Price wise not a lot of difference. Both will be $200-ish once you get them delivered and set up without the distribution stuff.
> Yes, and that is affordable while I am still working.

I suspect that one this guy sells out of the Lucent’s you will see them creep up in price. All the other Z38xx’s have done the same thing. Z3801’s once sold for what these are now selling for. TBolt’s sold for less. I would not count on Jackson labs having a fire sale. The LTE is a very good deal on a new commercial unit at the price it’s at.

Unless the market changes a lot, you should be able to sell any of the surplus boxes in the future for more than what you paid for it (if it still works). If the LTE is a limited time deal, they will likely follow the same sort of price trajectory.

>> What to do - get some of each :)
> Precisely my conclusion. I need to buy one of each. This is precisely how I ended up with thirteen Tektronix oscilloscopes. It's the same process.
>
> And right in the middle of Christmas gift-buying season.

Which could flush out the inventory of the Lucent boxes faster than one might think. They also could be around next June at the same price. I suppose there could be a massive inventory of them in China (water damage risk and all) and they could be $60 next June.

> A very useful summary. Thanks!

No problem.

Bob