[time-nuts] Did a member of time-nuts buy this?

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Mon Dec 15 07:52:30 EST 2014

> On Dec 15, 2014, at 2:27 AM, Mike Monett <timenuts at binsamp.e4ward.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>
>>> On Dec 10, 2014, at 11:12 PM, Mike Monett
>>> <timenuts at binsamp.e4ward.com> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>>> OK, that pretty much eliminates the NIST data.
>
>> or means that more research is needed on single sat boards. There
>> are a *lot* of them out there.
>
> What is a "single sat board" and can you give some examples?

A GPS module that will correctly and accurately report the time solutions for each and every satellite that it’s using as part of the total timing solution. An alternative might be to take RINEX data out of a module and post process that yourself. The intent is to be able to say “this sat told me I’m 15.32 ns fast”. You then look at somebody else’s data and they say “same sat told me I’m 17.82 ns slow”.

>> The ideal would be > 3 TBolts, > 3 same model Rb's, > 3 same model
>> OCXO's and more than three groups overall. Each has their own ADEV
>> curve. Comparing devices with vastly different ADEV is not the
>> best way to go.
>
> Yes, that makes good sense.
>
> [...]
>
>>> There are many new dacs, op amps, and bipolar microwave devices
>>> that offer much lower noise than current designs use. I think the
>>> performance can be improved in some areas with new components and
>>> design techniques, and I have equipment and time to explore.
>
>> There are only two points that system noise really comes into the
>> GPSDO design:
>
>> 1) The TDC must have enough resolution
>
>> 2) The DAC on the EFC must have noise below the OCXO
>
> I was more thinking of the Rubidium physics package. Most of the
> Rubidiums on eBay are pretty old.
>
> The lamp must have constant intensity. The null detector has to
> identify a very shallow drop. The microwave signal needs to have
> excellent phase noise.
>
> These all need low noise, low flicker components, and significant
> advances have been made in recent years. The surrounding circuitry
> could probably benefit from a redesign to take better advantage of
> low noise components. For example, SRD's are much noisier than NLTL's.
>
> Probably little can be done to improve the Rubidium cell, but it
> should be the limiting factor and not the electronics.

The small Rb’s are designed for a target cost. There is very little interest in fancy Rb’s. That low cost target does indeed impact the physics package.

>> The TDC is limited by the basic resolution of the GPS system. It's
>> easy to build one that has far more resolution than needed /
>> useful.
>
> Some people have little faith:)

Which is indeed a good thing at first. The GPS output is (at best) a 100 ps sort of thing. Each time I say that others will pop up and suggest that it’s closer to 1 ns. Either way, the demands on the TDC are not all that major. The long term (as opposed to 1 second) error on the GPS signal are likely closer to a couple of ns than to the number 0.1 or 1 ns level.

)

>> Focus on the software.
>
>> Bob
>
> I have a few Rubidiums and OCXOs I'd like to get running for a month
> or so to stabilize. During this time, I'd like to monitor the
> performance to discover any bad units and see which are the best
> ones.
>
> For example, TVB shows a 100:1 variation in ADEV in FE-405B
> Rubidiums. The section is titled "Variation in FE-405B" in
>
> http://leapsecond.com/pages/fe405/

I’m not a 405 expert, but I believe the 405 is OCXO based.

> Clearly, it would be futile to try to use a bad unit in setting up a
> gpsdo.
>
> I need some means of measuring the performance of these units while
> they are running. A dozen HP5370's would be out of the question. I
> did some research to find the different methods available and decide
> which has the lowest per-channel cost and best performance.
>
> Here are some of the references I found. I discarded most of the poor ones
> and tried to keep only the ones that talk about measurements in the
> picosecond or femtosecond range.
>
> I did not include DMTD since the concept is so simple.

I would count on building at least a 4 channel version

> The Reviews help to
> get oriented, but sometimes it takes reading the papers and the patents to
> see the timing diagrams and understand what the author is trying to do.
>
> There are many different variations on the FPGA approach. I would be
> concerned about the development time, the large DNL, and the problems with
> crosstalk on multi-channel units.

Cross talk is a limit on any multi channel setup. The FPGA based stuff is quite temperature and voltage sensitive.

> The TI THS788 looks good on paper, but it is single-source, not well
> stocked, and there is lttle information on crosstalk between channels. It
> is also quite expensive per channel. There are no application notes and
> little or no information on usage on the web.

It works, but I don’t know how well. I got pulled off the board before the project completed.

Bob