[time-nuts] Simple AC mains zero-cross detector

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Tue Dec 16 21:17:45 EST 2014

Hi

Indeed looking at the AC line is a Time Nut sort of thing to do. It was one of the first things I did with an old Beckman counter back in the 1960’s. Yes I realize that the AC line is a very noisy signal and that this may not be needed:

The same limiter / noise shaper stuff that works for a DMTD is equally at home processing a 60 Hz sine wave. The rise time, bandwidth, and progressive stage gain issues are the same. The Collins paper on hard limiters does indeed apply here. You *could* make a 60 Hz chain that got down into << 1 us sort of resolution.

Again, just because you can does not mean you should.

Bob