[time-nuts] Simple AC mains zero-cross detector

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Thu Dec 18 20:08:40 EST 2014

Hi

Using GPS timing for power network analysis and control dates back into the 1980’s. The guys at Quebec Hydro set up the first system I’m aware of. They had tried it with Loran-C before, but the noise in the vicinity of a major power station made that impossible. GPS being microwave helped them a lot with that part of it. They did a paper at FCS(?) on the results. Back then being able to actually get very accurate phase data over a 100’s of mile range  was a pretty novel thing. Using GPS timing for this actually pre-dates the whole CDMA / GPSDO thing.

Bob