[time-nuts] Simple AC mains zero-cross detector

Didier Juges shalimr9 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 21 10:06:49 EST 2014

Charles,

A commend regarding your ZCD. You propose to use a dual 120V primary
transformer to generate the isolated 120V AC needed by your circuit.
Unless specifically designed for that purpose, the isolation between the
two 120V primaries of a common transformer is probably not as good as the
isolation between primary and secondary, which could be a safety hazard.
Since small transformers with a 120V primary and a true 120V secondary are
hard to find, a better way would be to use two "regular step-down"
transformers back to back, like two door bell transformers: 120-24-120. You
would then get double isolation.

Didier KO4BB