[time-nuts] Soekris without a GPS receiver.

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Sat Dec 27 11:18:20 EST 2014

Hi

You can use a PPS from any “on time” source. The PPS driver is the place to look / thing to use for this.

The gotcha is that unless the PPS is indeed pulsing at the right time, it will not improve the performance of the NTP client / server on the box. Without something like a GPS / WWVB / DCF77 / Loran-C receiver you have a tough time knowing what is indeed on time. NTP in free run is likely better than 10 ms, so attaching anything less accurate than this will actually make things worse rather than better. In this case it’s accuracy you are after, not stability or repeatability.

There are a number of cheap GPS gizmos on the auction sites for ~$20 delivered that will take care of your shortage of "timing junk” (my wife’s term for fine timing hardware). For NTP there is no need for a fancy GPSDO, the raw PPS out of a good GPS is better plenty good enough. Be careful using the raw PPS from a GPS that is not designed for timing, it may not be up to the task. Yes there are also more exotic solutions like a free running cesium standard and a clock trip to calibrate it.

Bob