[time-nuts] Rb as source for ADEV?

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Thu Feb 6 22:18:20 EST 2014

On 07/02/14 03:47, Hal Murray wrote:

> Bob Camp <lists at rtty.us>:
>> Offset the local reference one hertz or so and let the 5334 do it’s thing.
>
> Any hints on how to get a good oscillator that's off by 1 Hz from 10 MHz?
>
> How did you pick 1 Hz?  Is 10 Hz offset better?  How about 0.1 Hz?

Higher beat frequency is better for avoiding flicker noise.
Higher beat frequency is better for producing events at higher rate,
shorter tau.
Lower beat frequency is better for the time-resolution gain
(beat/nominal frequency relationship).
Higher beat frequency is better for avoiding injection locking.
Higher beat frequency makes it easier to make a good noise reduction
filter which is stable.

There is more, but that should give you a rough hint. Let me know if you
need more detailed knowledge on these.

Cheers,
Magnus