[time-nuts] Line Frequency

M. Simon msimon6808 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 9 18:11:48 EST 2014

Hal,

The resistor H bridge with a capacitor in between sounds like a good idea. Yes - I'm starting with a wall wart. About 12 VAC.  Maybe a couple of back to back diodes (zeners?) across the capacitor to make sure the voltage stays in the input range of the op amp/comparator. I like the LT1122 for speed. It is not too pricey. But there is always the ubiquitous LM111 family. I do get the ECL biasing trick you pointed out.

Chris,

Experimenting
 is good. Except that to do a valid test I'd have to run the experiments
 in parallel. I'm not just using this for triac triggering. I want to
take measurements in real time. i.e. a PC running an FFT will not get me
 what I want.

I may ultimately have to create a test set that generates 60.000 Hz and injects a noise signal ( +/- .1V pulses at 100 KHz say) that can be turned off. The 60 Hz need not be extremely accurate. Just stable.

My counter does time triggering so I can do averaging if necessary without the counter swallowing pulses.

Simon

Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.