[time-nuts] Arduino GPSDO with 1ns res TIC

Brian Lloyd brian at lloyd.com
Thu Feb 13 09:59:55 EST 2014

On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 8:36 AM, paul swed <paulswedb at gmail.com> wrote:

> Lars has done a very good job here and good to see the comments and
> excitement.
> Have to agree with HAL that holdover is far more than a second and I am in
> a good location with the GPS antenna at 90'. I see my 3801 go into holdover
> occasionally and its not seconds.
>
> Cheapest tinker 10 Mhz is a Xtal with a varicap diode in circuit to adjust
> frequency.
> Sub $ 5 I would guess.

One can find 10MHz VCTCXOs on eBay for under $10. That makes life a lot
simpler and makes the construction simpler too. And if you don't mind SMD
there are new sub 1ppm VCTCXOs available for under $10. On the latter watch
out because some of these oscillators use digital temperature correction
and while they meet spec, the correction is quantized. Make sure the
temperature correction is analog.

--
Brian Lloyd, WB6RQN/J79BPL
706 Flightline Drive