[time-nuts] Maxim DS3232 and I2C

d0ct0r time at patoka.org
Fri Feb 14 17:20:06 EST 2014

I would like to ask an advise for following:

Lets say I have a DS3232 RTC connected by I2C to some MCU. The maximum
allowed I2C bus speed is 400KHZ. And I need to read time (HH:MM:SS) from
it. It will be THREE SEPARATE REQUESTS for each part (hours, minutes and
seconds). My concern: what if I start to read time at the edge, when it
will change itself inside of DS3232 ? Potentially, I could get weird
results, like hours and minutes stay the same, but seconds has changed.
Or even worth - hours is the same, but seconds and minutes has changed.
Is there any method to read all three values (HH:MM:SS) by one single
requests ? Or is there any other workaround for this issue ? Or it is
not issue at all ? Thanks !

--
WBW,

V.P.