[time-nuts] Maxim DS3232 and I2C

mike cook michael.cook at sfr.fr
Sat Feb 15 11:40:11 EST 2014

I don't think this is an issue. The datasheet indicates :

When reading or writing the time and date registers, secondary
(user) buffers are used to prevent errors when
the internal registers update. When reading the time and
date registers, the user buffers are synchronized to the
internal registers on any START and when the register
pointer rolls over to zero. The time information is read
from these secondary registers, while the clock continues
to run. This eliminates the need to reread the registers
in case the main registers update during a read.

So if you do a multi-byte read to get the lot at once, then it should be coherent. I saw some code to do this somewhere, but I have lost track of it.