[time-nuts] Another "atomic" clock question

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Mon Feb 24 07:44:42 EST 2014

Hi

Ok, so 0.1 second at the sync point is indeed a reasonable estimate. If that’s all you need to deal with (you correct out the crystal offset one way or the other) then:

At 1 day you have 11.5 ppm accuracy. Roughly a 100 Hz beat note with WWV at 10 MHz.

At 10 days you have 1.15 ppm. Roughly a 1 Hz beat note at 10 MHz.

At 100 days you have 0.115 ppm. That would be about a 10 second period beat note.

None of that is to say that a beat note is all there is to getting accuracy off of WWV or that the two approaches deliver the same net accuracy. Yes I’ve done the 10 second beat thing, it can be done with care and a good stable WWV signal.

Bob