[time-nuts] DS3231m 1HZ output stability

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Tue Feb 25 17:32:43 EST 2014

> I would like to ask if somebody did measurement for that Dallas DS32XX
> series chips. Is that 1PPS (1HZ square wave) stable there or it has some
> issues ? I am thinking that "burp" in my tests could be because of my
> poor code or may be because of DS32XX doing temperature conversion every
> second, which cause an impact to the 1HZ output. I would be interested
> to hear any information about. From the datasheet of DS3231m , that 1HZ
> from DS32XX should be stable.

Both the GPS and DS32XX 1PPS should be fine. Are your free-run counters really free? It looks like a simple bug in your code.

All this is very easy to debug if you have even the most basic frequency or time interval counter available to independently validate the GPS or the DS32XX 1PPS interval.

/tvb