[time-nuts] 5370 processor boards available

Dr. David Kirkby drkirkby at gmail.com
Thu Feb 27 06:23:42 EST 2014

On 27 February 2014 08:26, Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:

> The advantage of something like the BBB is that it runs Linux so you have a
> nice environment in which to run your code.  The disadvantage of Linux is
> that it's complicated and you have things like file systems that can get
> trashed.  Now, in addition of being the sysadmin for your PC(s), you have to
> be an admin for your lab gear.  That may be more "interesting" that you were
> expecting.  A friend reports that his scope caught a virus...

Consumer devices like routers and modems run Linux. Does anyone know
how they get around this issue? I wonder if the OS is stored on a
read-only device, and that is loaded into a read/write device when the
device is powered on.

It is great to hear about this project - even though I no longer have
a 5370B. I can see CPU upgrades could bring new life to a lot of old
instruments, but it clearly takes a lot of dedication to sort out the
code. Something very complex like a vector network analyzer would
probably be particularly challenging,

Dave