[time-nuts] 5370 processor boards available

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Fri Feb 28 02:16:49 EST 2014

In message <7984E000-057C-4790-9D20-E4DAC1F6008F at rtty.us>, Bob Camp writes:

>Is there any performance data on how the card does with a 5370A and / or a
>5370B compared to the original CPU on the exact same box? Put another way -
> does the counter get better or worse with the new card? I realize that an
>A will do some things with B firmware, that=92s not the question I'm asking.
>I'm looking for A to A or B to B timing data.

I have spent most of my time trying to answer exactly that question
and I have not been able to devise any experiment that shows a
difference in noiselevels with a credible statistical uncertainty.

Interestingly, it is pretty evident from my experiments that the
phase-noise of whatever EXT CLK source I use is the main cause of
one-shot noise, so if anybody happens to have a *really* clean
10MHz and a 5370, it would be interesting to hear how low it
can go.