[time-nuts] Measuring TV delays

Glenn Little glennmaillist at bellsouth.net
Thu Jan 2 15:53:08 EST 2014

This system of messaging is in place now, at least with ABC.
It is called NAS {Network Alert System}.
It is used to display network time,program scheduling and timings of
each segment with the time for affiliate commercial insertion.
It is also used to alert the affiliate to special reports and network cutins.
I do not remember what line or PID was used.
The decoder box had an output that had the decoded data superimposed
on the network video.
This is was displayed only in Master Control.
There was a discrete output from the box to trigger an audio sounder
to alert the sleepy Master Control operator of the impending cutin.
We used the loudest siren that we could find that ran off of 12 Volts
in a small form factor.
When it went off, you could hear it anywhere in the building.

The time was always retarded from local time and the offset was never
constant due to encode/decode delays.

It would be possible to decode this and display the same data at a
remote receiver, it was not stripped from the broadcast signal.

73
Glenn
WB4UIV