[time-nuts] HP 5060A C-field

cdelect at juno.com cdelect at juno.com
Fri Jan 3 12:15:56 EST 2014

Paul,

First off, is it a 5060A or 5061A?

More C-field current increases frequency.

You can check the synthesizer frequency, It should be 12.6317716 or
12.6317725 Mhz.

Either one is OK as you select the A15 resistor to center the C-field pot
anyway.

Here is info from an earlier post.

 The zeeman frequency required depends on two things, the magnitude of
the
> C-field current and the synthesizer frequency.
>
> HP 5061A and B units that have a synthesizer freq. of 12.6317725 Mhz
are
> configured for a lower value of C-field current by selecting a higher
> value series resistor on the A15 board. In this case any tube installed
> (5061A/B 5060 4050 4060) will operate at the 53.53Khz zeeman frequency.
>
> HP 5061A and B units and 5060A units that have a synthesizer frequency
of
> 12.6317716 Mhz are configured for a higher C-field current due to a
lower
> value series resistor in the C-field circuit. In this case any
installed
> tube will operate with a 42.82Khz zeeman frequency.
>
> Problems arise when synthesizer and or A15 modules are swapped around
> indiscriminantly leaving a unit with modules that do not match!
>
> Since the HP and FTS tubes C-field windings are designed to provide the
> same field for a given input they are interchangeable. You can operate
> any of these tubes at a 42.82 or 53.53Khz zeeman. I usually just stick
> with how the mainframe came configured.

Corby Dawson