[time-nuts] WAAS.....

ziggy9+time-nuts at pumpkinbrook.com ziggy9+time-nuts at pumpkinbrook.com
Wed Jan 8 10:33:44 EST 2014

I thought I had seen something regarding this before, and sure enough here it is:

<http://www.freqelec.com/gps_gnss/waas_for_telecom_wp_5-06.pdf>
<http://hugofruehauf.com/pdf/24-WAAS_for_Telecom_2003-upd_2011.pdf>
<http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a485380.pdf>

All variations on the same idea - essentially point a DBS dish at a WAAS satellite. Indications are that WAAS alone can be used for timing and the articles specifically touch on GPS backup and jamming resistance. Each article is a bit different so suggest reviewing all of them.

I guess it's an open question if your receiver can use WAAS alone for timing. I don't have one to test with, but does anyone know if the LEA-6T supports this mode? It would seem so.

Paul - K9MR