[time-nuts] HP 5328A fan - suspected issue

Robert Atkinson robert8rpi at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Jan 18 06:46:09 EST 2014

Hi Brett,
In the 5328A the unregulated 25V DC supply and OCXO run whenever the unit is connected to power. The on/off switch controls the main circuits power supply. The triac (Q12) and opto-coupler (U6) turn on the fan when the 3.5V DC supply is present (its only active wthe the unit switched on). The oprimal solution would be to use a 24V DC fan running from the raw DC (junction of F1 & R1) with it's negative lead switched to ground by a NPN transistor whose base is connected to the 3.5V DC (with a series resistor of course. I'd remove Q12 and U6 and all the associated 115V AC wiring. you can then pick up the 3.5V from the pad where U6 LED anode was connected). If you can only find a 12V fan just put a 12V zener in series with the fan (anode to fan cathode to F1). To slow the fan and reduce noise use a higher voltage zener.
Also consider one of the variable speed temeperature controlled fans with remote sensor. Put the sensor out of the direct airflow.

HTH,
Robert G8RPI.