[time-nuts] R: HP 5328A fan - suspected issue

Robert Atkinson robert8rpi at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Jan 18 13:44:09 EST 2014

Hi Antonio,
It should run when the ON/OFF switch is ON but not if it's OFF. If the fan runs whenever the power is connected there is a fault, probably a shorted TRIAC. Interestingly on the 5328B they added an RC snubber across the TRIAC which may indicate they had problems with the A model. Alternatively somone may have modified it. The military AN/USM-459 manual still shows the fan as being controlled. The original fan was 35 to 45 CFM (depends on the source of data) so a small 24V DC fan drawing around 100mA should work fine without excessively loading the supply. Any one know a makers part No. or frame size for the original fan? HP don't give these details. I'm assuming it's a 80mm unit but may be wrong as the 5328A is only 89mm high.

Robert G8RPI.