[time-nuts] Local Solar Time Clock

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Sun Jan 19 17:03:03 EST 2014

I hope this thread dies here.

In a message dated 1/19/2014 13:22:10 Pacific Standard Time,
aa8k at comcast.net writes:

On  14-01-19 03:20 PM, Chris Albertson wrote:
> My feverish brain now cranks  out that all we need is a electromechanical
>> WWVB receiver, thus no  active electronic parts. That would be a nice
little
>>  challenge.
>>

> That could work.  I remember  seeing an only World War II vintage teletype
> machine.  It would  print test from an HF receiver. Given the technology
of
> the day it had  no software inside
>
>   The way it would work is you  spin a disk at a nominal one rev per
second
> and disk has electrical  contacts on it that make a bit stream.   Phase
lock
> that  with WWVB.   So you control the motor speed.
>
>  Actually I think you'd be better off using the 60KHz carrier.   Again
> limiting yourself to only 1940's technology, I think you could  build a
> local oscillator that would phase lock to WWVB's carrier, and  from there
> you control the motor speed and  and then you use the  spinning disk to
> decom the bits.

My first home personal  computer (1964) was the Digi-Comp, no
electricity, but definitely had  software.  Stored program,
clock, display, conditionals...

In  the 1930s the Norden bomb-sight had software.

The Jacquard loom had  software.

Perhaps the "no software" requirement should be  refined.