[time-nuts] keeping Arduino timekeeping and clock synced up

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Sun Jan 19 19:10:18 EST 2014

> So, do you run the whole thing off 12V (which is what I'm going to do)
> and a float charged battery OR do you do something clever like detect
> when power is failing and save it in NV storage, then when you come back
> up, you send a bunch of clock ticks real fast to catch up.

Use a high-res Arduino web cam facing the wall of clocks and write OHR (Optical clock-Hand Recognition) code. That way its a single robust solution for setting it the first time, restarting it on power failure, resyncing after replacing a failed clock, or self-correcting after any mechanical glitch. You can also use the same video feed to show off the project live on the JPL web site.

/tvb