[time-nuts] Arduinos in time and near space

NeonJohn jgd at neon-john.com
Mon Jan 20 11:50:16 EST 2014

On 01/20/2014 01:23 AM, David J Taylor wrote:

> Is it possible to write (assuming the poor little creature would do it) a
> piece of code, that given your lat/long, the time and a two line element
> set for an orbiting object, such as the ISS, that would give you the
> acquisition of signal time/loss of signal time and so forth?

Hey David,

There's an amateur radio program for just that purpose.  Several, in
fact.  Here's one:

http://www.dxzone.com/catalog/Software/Satellite_tracking/

The one you want is the AMSAT program.

Probably too much for the Arduino, at least the 8 bit ones.

Here's a peecee utility that has most of what you need.

http://www.dxzone.com/catalog/Software/Satellite_tracking/

It started out as a Linux program but the author abandoned it in '94 and
this guy picked it up, improved it and ported it to windoze.  He had
started a backport to Linux.

I liked the program enough that I finished the backport and sent the
results back to the maintainer.  Until he incorporates those changes
into the main program, you can get the Linux version here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/81715047/sunwait_linux.tar.gz

You'll have to add the Kepler components but the AMSAT program should
have code that you can use for that purpose.

I know that sunwait will compile for the Arduino because I tried the
port with avrgcc 8 bit version.  I didn't try to load or run it but the
binary is small enough.

John

--
John DeArmond