[time-nuts] Lady heather plus NTP server?

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Tue Jan 21 13:12:23 EST 2014

It will work.

NTP has clock drivers for t-bolts.  The name is "pasiside" or something
like that.  Find it in the drivers folder in the NTP reference distribution.

Have you tried to see if two processes can read from the same serial port.
 I think they can.  Normally it is  bad idea.  It would not try it because
both programs do write to the port.  It they both only did reads then yo
could share it.

Two solutions:  One is "gpsd" which is a server deamon that connects to a
GPS then makes it available to multiple processes.  It can work with NTP
but I doubt LH knows how to use it.

Second idea that WILL work just fine.  I think this might be the only
option run the Atom clock ref in NTP.  This uses just the 1PPS output from
the GPS and does not use serial data.   It works well if you also have
Internet based NTP servers.
Atom does not work well by itself because you don't get the number of the
seconds but you don't need that.

On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 7:01 PM, ken johnson <bats059 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I currently have my router/firewall acting as both an NTP client, getting
> it's time from the net, and an NTP server serving my home network. Now I
> have my thunderbolt and Lady heather working nicely, I would like to have
> that machine act as the ntp server for my network, but it appears ntp can't
> understand tsip, and also with LH taking the com port, I can't see a way of
> ntp getting the data anyway.
>
> Is this possible to do, and if so,  can anyone give me some clues as to
> how?
>
> Thanks, Ken.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California