[time-nuts] NavSpark "cheap Arduino-compatible with GPS builtin" has timestamp feature now

beale beale at bealecorner.com
Wed Jan 22 13:20:56 EST 2014

The NavSpark project on Indiegogo has been mentioned here already, but I just wanted to note that (apparently at my request) today they announced the design was modified to include a timestamp function on external trigger input.
Oliver Huang / SkyTraq: "For NavSpark time accuracy is ~60nsec due to 16.368MHz clock. For -GL, -BD, time accuracy is ~40nsec due to 24.552MHz clock."
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/navspark-arduino-compatible-with-gps-gnss-receiver/x/6094574?c=comments

I think he means granularity or precision, and not absolute accuracy. The true time-nut may not have a use for 40 or 60 nsec precision, but for a 32-bit Arduino-compatible with built-in GPS receiver and GPS-referenced timestamp, complete system including antenna, shipped, for $19 (GPS only) or $22 (GPS + Glonass) I think it is one of the better values I have seen.  It is probably the cheapest way to measure long-term drift of an OCXO, and the programmability means it might be the easiest building block to use if you want to build your own GPSDO.