[time-nuts] Z3816A Control and Cleaning

Larry McDavid lmcdavid at lmceng.com
Fri Jan 24 13:20:55 EST 2014

Oops! "RO" is Reverse Osmosis. I incorrectly assumed that was widely
known. I've had an RO system under my kitchen sink for 30 years. Even
CostCo sells RO systems you can install yourself. There is a separate
spigot faucet on the sink for this mineral-free water.

RO systems first pass city water through a fine particle filter, then
allow only pure water to pass through an osmotic membrane into a
low-pressure storage tank. Before delivery out the separate spigot, that
RO water is passed through an activated carbon filter. All this hardware
resides on a smallish vertical platform under your kitchen sink.

Here in Anaheim, California, where all water is imported directly or
indirectly, the mineral content is relatively high. I maintain my RO
system carefully and monitor how it performs by measuring the water
conductivity, which is commonly referred to in water reports as
Dissolved Solids in ppm (parts per million).

My city tap water measures between 600 and 800 ppm dissolved solids
(and, sometimes higher); my RO system delivers water at 8-12 ppm. True
distilled water will measure 0-2 ppm dissolved solids so RO is almost as
good, good enough to not make a difference for our purposes, except
perhaps in the highest imaginable high-impedance or high-voltage circuits.

So, what is it that causes the high dissolved solids content of tap
water? It is *salt* in one form or another, generally magnesium and
calcium salts, and can include common sodium chloride (table salt). Salt
is electrically conductive so measuring water conductivity is a common
way to evaluate mineral content. Many years ago a company named Myron-L
established and made popular an assumed mixture of salts found in tap
water and "calibrated" water conductivity in "dissolved solids." This
assumed mixture and reporting in dissolved solids remains popular today.
You likely get a water purity report from your local water supplier;
look in there and you will find dissolved solids reported in ppm. You
may also find specific minerals reported but that is not done by
conductivity. Sometimes you see conductivity reported as conductivity
(reciprocal of resistance), with no attempt to convert to a dissolved
solids percentage.

Think of taking a 5 gallon jug of distilled water and adding a teaspoon
of table salt. Would you want to drench your electronics with that
water? You'll never get all the water blown out or drained out; what
water remains will evaporate. What remains after evaporation is the
minerals or salt. Not good to have salt on your circuit boards!

It is difficult to harm any electronics by drenching them with distilled
or RO water. What does not immediately drain out simply evaporates over
time but leaves behind no mineral salt and causes no problem.

Drop your cell phone into a lake? Immediately soak it in distilled water
to dilute the salt in the lake water. Spill coffee on your keyboard?
Drench it with distilled water and let it dry. Let anything you get wet,
dry thoroughly before re-applying power! Use slightly elevated
temperature to accelerate evaporation.

Ever wonder what causes "water spots" on glassware you don't dry with a
towel? Those spots are simply mineral salts left when the city tap water
evaporates. I often hand wash a few dishes in my kitchen, but then I
rinse them with RO water from the convenient sink-top spigot and let
them drain dry. Guess what? No water spots because there are no
significant minerals in the RO water.

Some homes have "soft" or deionized water provided by a de-mineralizer
that uses salt. The result varies widely and this so-called soft water
is not mineral-free. Some will use this water for electronic cleaning; I
will not and instead use my RO water, which I monitor and know how
mineral-free it really is.

Want to check your own tap water for dissolved solids? Easy and cheap
today. Search eBay for "Dissolved Solids Meter" and you will find many
hand-held, battery powered LCD meters offered for about $10-$12.

RO water is convenient and has other uses around the home. We recently
suffered a period of very low relative humidity (5%) and I started using
an ultrasonic nebulizer humidifier in my bedroom. I fill it with RO
water from my kitchen sink and as a result have no mineral powder
falling out of the humidified fog. Do any metal finishing at home? I
always use only RO water to avoid unexpected results from tap water.

Do you enjoy hot tea? Tanic acid in tea is a mineral indicator and tea
made with "hard" water will be very dark in color. Use RO water and the
tea will be amber and taste better. Same with coffee... My RO system
gets a lot use!

Larry

On 1/24/2014 9:12 AM, J. L. Trantham wrote:
> Larry,
>
> Thanks for the info.  What is 'RO'?  I am not familiar with that
> abbreviation.
>
> Joe

Best wishes,

Larry McDavid W6FUB
Anaheim, California  (SE of Los Angeles, near Disneyland)