[time-nuts] help me understand AM noise

John Miles john at miles.io
Wed Jan 29 19:46:47 EST 2014

If you're just using a single attenuator at the input of your PA, it makes
sense that the additive noise in dBc terms is worse at lower output levels.
Disregarding saturation for the moment, the PA is adding just as much noise
to a low-level input signal as it does to a high-level signal.

ALC-controlled amps need to be designed with multiple alternating stages of
attenuation and gain.  Whatever drives the PIN diodes or other attenuators
also needs to be quiet and well-filtered, of course -- which also means
keeping an eye on feedback stability.

My (least) favorite counterexample is the IF amp in the HP 11729C noise test
set.  It's not even an ALC amplifier, but a true limiting amplifier.  It was
implemented by cascading several high-gain MMICs with clamp diodes between
each stage.  Makes a nice comb generator.  They were driving a mixer so they
would have reasoned that odd harmonics were acceptable, but because there
was no interstage attenuation for low-level noise, the amplifier's additive
AM and PM levels were awful.  You'll see similar performance if you measure
the additive noise of a comparator or other limiting amp.  Several limiting
amps were used in the HP 8662A/8663A synthesizer as well, which is why they
have good close-in noise but a relatively poor white noise floor.  As long
as you avoid these mistakes you'll be ahead of 90% of the crowd.

As far as further reading goes, check out http://rubiola.org/index.html .

-- john, KE5FX
Miles Design LLC

What