[time-nuts] FASTRAX GPS

Bob Stewart bob at evoria.net
Thu Jul 3 00:42:59 EDT 2014

Jim,

I'm a rather junior member of the list, but I wouldn't try to move 1PPS over that kind of distance; especially when it's so easy to put the receiver right next to what needs the 1PPS.  The pros are too small and the cons are too great.  There are a couple of vendors on ebay who sell "F" to "SMA" adapters.  But, a warning: from experience I have found that the RG6 is stiff and the SMA male adapter is fragile.  While moving your unit around, it's all to easy to snap the adapter off your unit.  It's a few more bucks, but consider getting a short "F" female to "SMA" male pigtail instead of just a machined adapter.  I assume that it's not a problem on the antenna end, since you're not connecting to a bulkhead connector.

In my house, I put the antenna in the attic, and snaked the RG6 through the same opening that the DirecTV cable came through.  I changed the wall plate to add another F connector.  From there is a short run of RG6 to my splitter, and then a few feet of RG316 to my receiver.

Bob