[time-nuts] DIY FE-5680A lobotomy (disable temp compensation)

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Fri Jul 4 08:23:21 EDT 2014

Hi

There is a bunch of stuff on the Wentzel site about their double wall mini-test chambers. It’s probably the best approach to the gradient issue. You still have a gradient around the inner chamber / box, but it’s consistent. You eliminate the coupling of the gradient to the ambient temperature.

The downside is the higher thermal resistance of the structure. That may force you right back to thermo electric cooling. I’d try a conventional heat pipe designed for high power desktop CPU cooling first. The things are cheap, come with way more fan than you need and the plate that mates to the CPU is about the right size for this application.

Bob