[time-nuts] Interesting frequency standard project

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Fri Jul 4 18:27:41 EDT 2014

paulswedb at gmail.com said:
> The key to these systems is that the transmitters have very good references.
> In the US at least we have no requirement for that level of stability on the
> MW broadcasts. Though evidently some stations are quite good. I think I have
> a list some place have to re-look.

How stable are they?  Could they provide a good regional reference if
somebody with a good setup would measure several stations and publish the
results?  How often would you have to measure?

How do you measure the frequency of an AM or FM station?  Wait for silence
and process it like CW?

Any suggestions for a receiver (or whatever) that would be appropriate for
that sort of project?  I assume the main requirements are an external freq in
and a serial/USB port to adjust the knobs.

Ages ago, I remember seeing a small booklet (20 pages?) from NBS describing
their setup with HP that was using NBC's atomic clock for time distribution.
HP's part was to run the west coast calibration to get the delay over phone
lines from the east coast to the west coast.  Has anybody seen a copy of that
booklet online?

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.